Saturday, June 30, 2012

You say hello, I say goodbye


My year abroad has come to an end.

I am both depressed and elated. My uterus can’t handle so many emotions!

This year has undoubtedly been the best year of my life thus far. Up until this point, I had always been a very negative person. Rarely found myself completely happy or fulfilled, and even if there was a sliver of joy in my life at any point in time, I always found something else to complain about and always wished for more.

Going abroad has made me extremely appreciative of what I already have, be it little or a lot, but more important, has made me a much, MUCH happier person. There were times when I’d be sitting outside a cafe in Vietnam drinking the best damn coffee in the universe, or on the train in Tokyo adjacent from a group of 5 teenage girls in Pokemon costumes, or trying not to get killed dodging motorbikes during rush hour…that I would stop, and just realize in that moment how completely fulfilled I am. And not wish for anything more, because all I had was all I needed. That hasn’t happened at all before this year.

I am not sure yet how to make the transition from this past year to this coming year so that I can retain my sanity and appreciation for life. Moving to New York will be such a different experience than living in Saigon. Anywhore, for funsies, I made a list of random good things about both the US and Vietnam. A marriage of the two would make the perfect place to live! Let's make that happen now, ok?

US
Vietnam

•     Free refill on drinks
•     People say please, thank you, and excuse me
•     Women can be independent and treated with respect
•     People actually care about things like animals, world peace, and the environment
•     People wait in line
•     Anything can be super-sized
•     There are actually standards when it comes to things like food, safety, security, cleanliness, etc.
•     Wal-mart
•     The amount of money you pay for something and the quality of the good/service are directly proportional
•     Technology is affordable
•     Pop culture
•     Every other country knows the going-ons of the US
•     There are a opportunities for people from all backgrounds
•     You can be a vegetarian/vegan pretty easily if you choose
•      People are free to express their feelings and are generally sympathetic towards your misfortunes
•     America is very diverse and it’s OK to be different
•     Cheap shit
•     There are very few hard/violent crimes
•     Things/food/goods/services are sold everywhere and very easily accessible
•     They give you a wet wipe everywhere you go
•     People generally don’t give two fucks, especially over stupid shit
•     Excellent 2 hour massages are like 10 bucks
•     Everyone is generally hilarious
•     Juices, shakes, smoothies made with real fruits and ingredients
•     Motorbikes are very easy to own, park, and navigate
•     Water is much cheaper than soft drinks
•     It’s almost impossible to eat a bad meal
•     People are very open and nonjudgmental towards religion
•     Coffee is divine and infinitely better than Starbucks
•     Very easy/inexpensive to get from one place to another
•     There’s always a quick fix for everything
•     People are always welcoming. Mi casa es su casa



Mostly this.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little moments...
    The lists are sooooo true too!

    Hahah but yes, mostly phở.

    ReplyDelete