Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The story of the hat

Finally I has internets! Went on a blogging spree. Just posted about Bagan and Jellyfish Lake, in addition to the Thailand one previously.

I found Burmese people to be the most genuinely curious, friendly, and gentle people I've ever met. They will go out of their way to talk, and often to help, a foreign visitor. I'd like to share a funny mishap that turned out to be an awesome photographic incident.

This story takes place on a picturesque teak bridge in Mandalay

Camwhoring on the bridge with my kewl new hat before sundown

Huge gust of wind came by and blew my shit in the lake. It sank.

I sads.

Random man on a boat comes to my rescue and hurriedly paddles over

My knight in Burmese armor

Against all our protests, he quickly strips and dives headfirst into the lake. Goes under for like 15 minutes. We keep yelling for him to get out. I feel like a total prissy bitch at this point.

He was soooo nice. What a random act of kindness. People rarely do such things for you without expecting something in return.

Dirty hat but happy heart :)

I felt like a friggin celebrity in this country. Most tourists are white Europeans and some East Asians. Burmese people found me very strange looking apparently and asked about me everywhere we went because I had a tan just like them but I wasn't wearing traditional clothes or thanaka on my cheeks. One man said, "You are dark...and your hair is black...so you are Asian. But you live in America. But you are Asian still." Wisest words ever spoken.

To avoid confusing them any further, I gave in and let a cute local girl give me the Burmese makeover.

Feels like Play-doh

Ta-da! I'm totally Burmed out.

2 comments: