Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Burma Part 1: Bagan


Where to even start talking about Burma (Myanmar)? Anywhere would be a good starting point, because no one knows shit about this country! It’s the least visited, most mysterious and misunderstood, and utterly the most fascinating place in all of Asia, where time has seemingly stood still for centuries.



Coming to Burma, I was told that it would be extremely dangerous, that I should be very careful, and that it's an utterly devastated country. Even though Myanmar was declared one of the axes of evil by our own president, nothing could be farther from the truth. I have never been to a more peaceful, serene, or friendlier place.

Men in Myanmar wear skirts. Despite our perceptions of masculinity, I found this quite charming.

Burmese women usually put thanaka on their cheeks. This serves as both makeup and a skin protectant. Very striking. You don't see this anywhere else that's for sure...

Rarely is a country as beautiful as its people.


Burma is a people photography paradise.

Nothing I can write will truly change people’s negative stereotypes about this beautiful place, nor can I possibly convey through words how stunning of a country Burma has proven to be, so rather than ramble on and on like a mad cow, enjoy these pictures from Bagan, an ancient city with absolutely the most amazing temple complex in the world (that sadly no one knows about).

Temple studded hills and grasslands as far as the eye can see...there are literally thousands upon thousands.


Amazing feats of humankind everywhere you look



If a country had just one of these temples, people would go out of their way to see it and it'd be a tourist attraction in and of itself. Here, each temple is unique and different...you can literally spend weeks getting lost in Bagan.



Gold, silver, white, red...I can't even begin to imagine how long it must have taken Bagan to become what it is today. And to think, a majority of these temples have already been destroyed by natural disasters and still there are so many left!




This makes Cambodia’s Angkor Wat look like total shit. Oh wait, it already made itself look like total shit by being a fucking Ringling circus. Here in Bagan, it’s just me, my camera, amicable curious locals, and a sea of beauty. Serenity at last.


Literally no tourists for miles

Overlooking the temples at dawn

Everywhere we went, the locals were so curious and friendly. Usually in other Asian countries, I find that locals can be very judgemental because I have an Asian face but I'm wearing westernized clothing with American mannerisms, and apparently this is not OK. But here, they're so eager to know more about the outside world, with no ulterior motives.











I can say without a doubt Burma is my favorite country in Southeast Asia (even more so than Vietnam, which kills me to say because I love, love Vietnam). My travel buddy who has been to 50+ countries says that this is by far the best, most picturesque country in the world.








Gold everywhere

Even the monestaries are super badass.

I can't make up my mind between Japan and Burma though. They couldn’t be any more different! One is a global powerhouse that is probably the most developed and sophisticated society on earth, and the other is the exact opposite in terms of development, but somehow this makes it equally wonderful in a weird way. I could spend forever here and not feel like I’m missing anything.

A traditional Burmese meal is comprised of many, many dishes and usually buffet style. I'm sitting in front of 25 plates, all of which were very delicious (and surprisingly spicy)!

Burmese food is excellent, the only cuisine other than Vietnamese that I like in SE Asia. Dinner by the lake doesn't hurt either.

Forget everything you've heard about this country. Come see it for yourself (fucking cheesy, I know).

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea Burma was so beautiful! I didn't what/where Burma was period lol ashamed to say!

    ReplyDelete