Thursday, September 22, 2011

Vietnamese Food

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love food. If you look at my bank statement, 90% of it goes to food vendors...specifically Honey Pig (how I miss you!!) Here in Vietnam, food is thankfully much cheaper. Here are some miscellaneous foobservations and pictures from my time here so far.

Never turn down a fruit drink. Smoothies and shakes alike, fruity things here are done to perfection. They use real fruit and the texture is super creamy and rich. My favorite are the stickie ickie sweetsop smoothies. They're gloopy and white and feels like butter running down your throat :P~

Fresh papaya mmm..

Vietnamese people eat a LOT of baguettes. I would argue that they eat more of that ish than French people. They eat it with meat, veggies, or simply dip them in condensed milk. This is unfortunate for me because I hate bread, but at least it's not American bread X(

My little cousin contemplating life, the universe, and everything

Everywhere you go, everything you eat, you get a trusty plate of peppers on the side. Breakfast omelet? Peppers. Pho for lunch? Peppers. Sick from the flu? Peppers. Grandma's funeral? Peppers. And they're actually spicy...unlike in 'MERIKAH!

Reason #213 why I won't live past 50

All the noodley dishes here are comprised of three things: the noodle, the broth, and the garnish. Depending on the combination, you get a totally different dish. Everyone of course knows pho, but here, I love bun bo hue and banh canh best. These have thicker noodles and more variety of meat.

Titillating 

Nothing beats a freshly picked coconut. Unlike in Americaaaa, palm trees here are loaded with coconuts everywhere you go. If you're a real gangsta, you climb that shit unassisted. If you're even more gangsta, you get your uncle with a machete to chop that shiz down for you.

like a BOSS

The more into the countryside you go, the bloodier it gets. Literally. Everything is eaten with coagulated something or other. I've had many ducks and chickens killed for me as a guest. They bleed them out into a dish and put the blood in with whatever they're making. I was afraid of eating it cuz of bird diseases, but it was OK (I think)

Vietnamese equivalence of down south home cooking

Vietnamese BBQ is not as good as Korean BBQ. Or maybe this only applies to Honey Pig. The beef here is much tougher than in the US so that's 95% of it right there. However, the prawns are hugantic and makes up for this quite nicely.

Goat wrapped around a cheese stick. Weird, I know, but it was really good. 

For dessert, you gotta chow down on some ice cream. The ice cream here is much less milky than in the US, which is a good thing. The flavor really comes through and doesn't sink in your stomach and give you major itis. It's refreshing and always my favorite part of the meal :)

Don't ask me why it's in a duck basket ¯\(°_o)/¯

3 comments:

  1. ¯\(°_o)/¯
    Hahahahhahahahahaha!

    Oh my gosh looking at these food pics makes me depressed....especially since I haven't had anything decent to eat for a month...I hattettteeetetete schoooooooooolll!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOL mai u WOULD like that emoticon!
    tree said yall had to memorize like hundreds of drugs each night..? JEEBUS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memorizing the drugs are the least of my problems right now, ironically. I WISH that's all we had to learn. They're making us do all this calculation shit and you know how bad I am at math?!?! I can't even add using the regular calculator anymore, I gotta have that t89!~ Cuz God forbid I have to remember the last couple of answers in order to do the next step..... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete