Monday, December 12, 2011

Flowers and Silk

The central highlands of Vietnam has perfect weather for growing really pretty flowers. Reminds me a lot of Georgia in the fall because of the pine trees and crisp air. We visited a flower pagoda just right before sunset when all the tourists had left. Such a nice tranquil departure from the hustle and bustle of Saigon…

This pagoda is famous for its roses, which comes in all colors and sizes


Bonsai roots


Fat ass beetle. I thought it was fake until I saw it move *shudders*

No idea how they get these trees to intertwine

Genetic retard

Hydrangeas here are hugeeeee...bigger than my head!

This flower is so inappropriate

Apparently monks from all around the world come to this peaceful pagoda to train


Yesterday we rode motorbikes up the mountains through spectacular views on our way to the Cuong Hoan silk factory.

Silk worms spit out a fluffy cocoon over time...

They then get harvested and put into a boiling tub of water. This lady is fluffing them around with chopsticks up into a suction where their threads get pull off and spun

Making fabric

Here it comesssss

Ta da! Gorgeous silk

Used up silk worms. Local delicacy. Ew.

5 comments:

  1. you need to update more often! I like looking at the pictures and your inappropriate captions. This is the most I've seen of Vietnam, even more than when I was actually in vietnam before I left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are the most unvietnamese vietnamesey person i know

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I know, I've been faking it but I actually don't even know what they're like...

    ReplyDelete