Thursday, April 19, 2012

Cat city

Kuching is derived from the Malay word which means cat. This city was the last stop on our Borneo adventure (we've been back to Saigon for a while now...just been busy/sick so this is a long overdue post)

Cats everywhere. Cat statues, cat souvenirs, cat trinkets, cat posters, probably even local cat delicacies if you look hard enough...

Hai fives!

We came to Kuching less for the cats and more for the orangutans. Borneo is one of only two places in the world (the other being Sumatra) where you can see the orange beasts. They're super duper endangered so if you see one in the wild, you're probably dropping acid. The best we could do was go to a nature reserve during feeding time. Good thing there's one very close to Kuching!

Everyone waiting patiently for the 'rangies to show up. This nature reserve is different from a zoo where animals are caged. The monkeys here just roam wild and we were told we'd be lucky to even see one if it chose to come out when it was supposed to during feeding time.

AHMAHGADDD THERE IT IS THERE IT IS!!! I gasped in awe just because other people were hooting and hollering and pointed my camera in that general direction and snapped away, not even able to see anything cuz the damn sun was so bright. It was a total madhouse when we finally saw the first orangutan and I had no idea what we were even looking at.

There he is in all his glory. The alpha male.

And not a single fuck was given that day.



Give me my coconut or I will demolish you.

The next day we headed over to Bako National Park to get in one last dose of Mother Nature. This place was hella painful to get to, but when we were finally there...we got Mother Nature alright.

This fine bearded piece of bacon greeted us at the entrance. My god, he looks so tasty. 




On our way to an uphill hike up to a viewing point

Glorious view at the top. I was in an abominably sweaty state when I took this picture. 

Another hike through the coastal forest to get to the beach...

Words cannot express how happy we were to have finally made it here after several hours.

Fuck no we were not about to hike back. I swam desperately to this man when I spotted him and bargained for a ride back. He was probably there in the first place to capitalize on lazy people like us anyway.

Good bye beach!

"The symbol of Sarawak" He told us a moving story about this formation but I completely forgot.

Good LAWDDDD I've been having the worst cravings for crawfish. Can someone come strap me to their jet and drop me down in the New Orleans bayous so I can has om noms right now plizz?

4 comments:

  1. Cats!~ <3 You should have taken more pics. Of the cats stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now why would I wanna do that?

      I got you a cat thingy though! u woulda went crazy there! So much cat paraphernalia...

      Delete
  2. Why are cats so special there lol? When are you coming back? I have so many skanky stories to tell you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. it just says it is with no explanation.

      I'm gonna be home june 29!

      Delete